Many people don’t know how to pour Absinthe correctly and no, it isn’t as simple as removing the lid, pouring it to a glass and drinking it! Absinthe ought to be served diluted with iced water and sweetened a little bit with sugar making carbonated water. This technique is called “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is exactly how Absinthe was prepared in its heyday during the 19th century and early 20th century.
The Ritual isn’t so much a recipe as a solution to follow. Here are instructions on how to pour the perfect Green Fairy each time:-
– Absinthe – Make use of a quality Absinthe which contains wormwood. There are lots of fake Absinthes around with no thujone and therefore no wormwood.
– An Absinthe glass – This will make measuring the Absinthe quite simple because you fill the bulge towards the bottom or rise to the mark, according to what style glass you’ve got.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (cuillere)
– Ice cold water
– A cube of white sugar
In making your Absinthe drink you have to pour a shot of Absinthe in the glass and rest the spoon on the rim of the glass. cube of sugar on the spoon and slowly drip water over the sugar to make it dissolve into the Absinthe. Top up the Absinthe to taste, normally a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe.
Should you use a steady hand and drip the water carefully, it is possible to view the Absinthe louche while it turns from a transparent bright green to an opalescent, pale, milky green. This really is fascinating to watch.
Some Absinthe drinkers buy a special Absinthe fountain that you just fill with water and ice cubes after which turn a tap to regulate the dripping of the water in the Absinthe – great if you are heavy handed. A fountain also enables you to make two drinks concurrently because several fountains have two taps.
Replications . of antique Absinthe spoons and glasses may be ordered online from AbsintheKit.com. This company also sell Absinthe essences on their own webshop. You combine an essence with vodka or everclear to create your very own authentic wormwood Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian technique differs slightly from the Ritual and isn’t a traditional technique of preparing Absinthe. To create Absinthe this way you should:-
– Pour a shot of Absinthe in a glass then dip the cube of sugar into the alcohol.
– Place the cube of sugar on top of the Absinthe spoon.
– Utilizing a match or lighter, set the sugar alight.
– Watch the sugar caramelize and melt throughout the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– Carefully pour iced water into the Absinthe to dilute.
– Stir and savor.
Absinthe may also be combined with other alcohol in cocktails. Use the internet for Absinthe cocktail recipes get the facts. Ernest Hemingway drank “Death in the Afternoon” – Absinthe mixed with champagne!
There you are, how to pour Absinthe while using the Ritual and the more modern Bohemian method. Try them out and enjoy with Absinthe.